Headaches are a common problem for many individuals and are described as any type of pain in or around the head including the upper neck, face, and interior of the head. Various Treatment Options are Available. There are a few different types and reasons one could suffer from them and various treatment options to help reduce the pain and severity of the headache.
Most common of all headache types. With a tension headache, symptoms may consist of:
- Constant ache or pressure around the head
- Pain centralized near the temples or at the back of the head and neck
- Will not usually experience nausea or vomiting
A High Level of Stress Can Create Tension Headaches. Possible causes of tension headaches are that the muscles around the head and neck are contracting, or a very common explanation, stress. To help relieve these headaches, over-the-counter medications, such as ibuprofen, are recommended.
Cluster headaches are another form of headache, but these appear suddenly and occur in groups or cycles. Some symptoms of this debilitating type of headache are:
- Pain on one side of the head
- Accompanied by, a watery eye, nasal congestion, or runny nose on the same side of the face
- Feeling of restlessness during an attack and inability to lie down
Medication is Available to Lessen the Frequency and Duration. The cause of these headaches is unknown, although it is presumed that they have a connection to genetics. There is no cure, although there is medication available to lessen the frequency and duration.
A sinus headache occurs when a sinus becomes inflamed, typically because of a sinus infection that may be present in the individual. A few symptoms of this are:
- Pressure in the face
- Pain in the form of an earache, toothache, or pain in the jaw
- Sore throat
Treatments for these types of headaches include, antibiotics, antihistamines or decongestants.
Migraines are the most painful type of headache, and are often hereditary. Doctors use certain criteria when diagnosing a patient with migraines. Symptoms include:
- At least 5 previous episodes of headaches
- Lasting between 4-72 hours
- At least two out of these four: throbbing pain, one-sided pain, mild to severe pain, pain that interfers with, or is worsened by routine activity
- Sensitivity to light and sound
Treatment can Range from Anti-inflammatory Medications to Stress Management and Improved Sleep Habits. Some causes of migraines include stress, hormonal changes in women, sensory stimuli, and other possible physical factors. Treatment for migraines can range from anti-inflammatory medications to stress management and improved sleep habits. Everyone is dissimilar, so individuals may respond differently to various forms of treatment.